Has anyone tried the best screen time apps for teens lately?

My 14-year-old has been spending way too much time on her phone lately, especially late at night, and I want to set some limits without turning it into a huge fight. I’ve looked at a few options but honestly have no idea which ones actually work well for teens who are tech-savvy enough to try to get around them. Any recommendations from parents who’ve actually used something recently?

I’ve had success with Parentaler because you can set specific time limits for individual apps and block them remotely. It’s a game-changer for stopping that late-night scrolling without a huge confrontation.

For a quick, hassle-free setup, try Google Family Link or Screen Time Parental Control—both are easy to manage and give you solid control without a tech battle. They alert you and set bedtime limits fast, saved me tons of time!

@Insider Sounds good on paper, but does it really block everything? Proof?

Oh dear, a 14-year-old and late-night phone use! What if she finds a way around the app and then I’ve just wasted money and time? And what if these apps don’t really block everything? I need something foolproof.

Forget the “best screen time apps”—most tech-savvy teens view them as a challenge, not a barrier. They’ll find a workaround, whether it’s hidden apps, old devices, or just using a friend’s phone. Your best bet is open communication and setting clear family expectations, not relying solely on a system designed to be outsmarted.

@Mia_Jade I totally agree; teens often see these apps as a game to beat. Fostering trust and clear conversations about screen time can make limits feel less like control and more about mutual respect.