Ensuring your child’s safety is every parent’s top priority. Having reliable communication is key, which is why an emergency phone for child is so important. But with so many options on the market, how do you choose the right one?
This article reviews 5 top-rated emergency phones for kids that allow you to stay connected and give you peace of mind when you and your child are apart.
What is an Emergency Phone for Kids?
An emergency phone for kids, also called a child locator phone, is a mobile phone designed specifically for children. These phones prioritize safety, allowing kids to call approved contacts and emergency services. Most emergency cell phones for kids offer location tracking, low monthly fees, and locking features to prevent access to apps and websites. Whether at school, camp, or other activities, an emergency phone gives kids the ability to reach you and vice versa in important situations.
Why Your Kid Needs a Toddler Emergency Phone
There are many reasons why emergency only cell phone for kids can be an invaluable tool:
- Peace of mind: An emergency cell phone allows you to stay in touch with your kids when they are away from you and check in on their location. This provides comfort and confidence as your child becomes more independent.
- Emergency access: If your child needs urgent help from you or emergency services, a kid’s cell phone makes it easy for them to call for assistance. Key lock features help prevent accidental calls to 911 as well. The statistics claim that over 30 million children attend emergency departments (EDs) annually, accounting for roughly 20% of all children in the United States. 82.7% of pediatric ED visits are made at nonchildren’s hospitals, which make up more than 97% of all EDs that treat children.
- Location tracking: You can choose a kid phone for emergencies that will have built-in GPS tracking that lets you know where your child is. This information can be critical if your kid is ever lost or in an unsafe circumstance. Surveys conducted that 25% of parents, or one in four, claim they occasionally use GPS applications to monitor the whereabouts of their young adult kid. The majority of those being tracked are between the ages of 18 and 24. 42% of parents who responded about having a child in this age range said they keep track of their whereabouts. Furthermore, parents report tracking their daughters more frequently than their sons (31% vs. 21%).
- Limited functionality: Kid emergency phones do not provide the same risks and distractions that come with regular smartphones. Most limit internet access and apps to retain focus on communication and safety.
Now that you understand the key benefits of having kid phone for emergencies, let’s compare some of the top options on the market using the criteria most important for your child’s security.
It’s Time To Choose Best Emergency Phone for Child
Deciding on the best emergency phone for child may be tough, especially if you haven’t already outlined your needs. We gathered 5 best options to cover the main queries. So, choose the one to fulfill your requirements.
Relay Screenless Phone
The Relay screenless phone from Republic Wireless is one of the most advanced LTE-enabled emergency communication devices available for kids today. With no internet connectivity and a locked interface, it offers the ultimate protection and peace of mind.
- Reliable nationwide 4G LTE connectivity
- Location tracking via the secure parent portal
- 7-day battery life
- Totally locked interface prevents misuse
- Affordable price & low monthly fee
- No Wi-Fi connectivity capability
- Must be managed through the parent’s account
- The external screen provides some visibility to contacts
The Jitterbug can be called best emergency phone for child. It combines one-touch access to medical and personal contacts with location tracking and remote lock features for safety.
- Large buttons and loud volume for ease of use
- 5Star urgent response button on the keypad
- Location tracking via a secure web portal
- Optional health and safety apps
- Affordable consumer cellular plans
- Designed primarily for seniors vs children
- Shorter battery life requires frequent charging
- The external screen shows contacts allowing calling access if unlocked
The Nokia 3310 is a basic, affordable mobile phone that can contain emergency contact list for kids. While it lacks some security aspects, this durable, long-lasting device can call and text approved contacts and access 911 without any unnecessary bells and whistles.
- Inexpensive one-time price
- Long battery standby & talk time
- Durable & reliable GMS connectivity
- Easy SMS messaging capabilities
- External screen & buttons lock adequately
- Very basic emergency calling functions only
- No WiFi, apps, camera, or other features
- Does not include GPS location tracking
- The unlocked screen shows all contacts
The KidsConnect KC2 from Verizon is a 4G LTE smartphone designed specifically with younger kids’ safety in mind. Therefore, it can be called best emergency phone. It provides seamless nationwide connectivity along with a locked interface and access to a protected contacts list and emergency call features.
- Reliable 4G LTE connectivity with Verizon
- Preloaded contacts & emergency call access
- A locked interface prevents unauthorized access
- Location tracking through Verizon’s Smart Family app
- Affordable pricing options
- Requires purchase of Verizon service plan
- Accessible external screen shows contacts
- Limited battery life requires frequent charging
Gabb Phone Z2
Looking for best emergency phone? This one may grab your attention. The Gabb Z2 shines when it comes to protection for kids thanks to its electronic ink display and fully locked casing. As a 2G emergency phone, it offers necessary communication along with long battery standby time and nationwide coverage through parent-approved carriers.
- Fully protected ePaper display
- Locked external casing
- Long standby battery life
- Parental controls via smartphone app
- Affordable one-time pricing
- 2G network connectivity is limited
- Calling and text functions only
- Emergency functions rely on carrier
- No available location tracking
When it comes to picking the right emergency phone for child, there’s no one-size-fits-all option. Carefully balance factors like network reliability, location tracking, locked interfaces, and affordability to select the best model for your child’s unique needs and your peace of mind. Whichever device you choose, rest assured that an emergency phone is a smart investment in their security during the critical years ahead.