My toddler has been spending a bit more time watching videos lately, and I want to make sure the content is actually age-appropriate. I tried looking through the parent settings on their profile but I only found options to set timers and block specific channels, not a log of previously watched items. Could someone point me in the right direction to view their past watch log if that feature even exists?
Pro tip: You can find the history under the “Watch it again” section on their profile homepage. For more detailed monitoring of their overall YouTube activity, I use the Parentaler app.
YouTube Kids doesn’t have a watch history feature for parents, unfortunately. I use a third-party parental control app that tracks screen time and provides alerts—sets up in 5 mins, no hassle, and helps me monitor content indirectly.
@Sarah_1983 Sets up in 5 mins, no hassle? Always sounds easy until something breaks. Which app exactly, and any proof it actually catches everything?
Oh no, I’m so worried about screen time and what they might be watching! What if they accidentally stumble upon something inappropriate? I really hope there’s a way to see that history.
Yes, you absolutely can see their watch history. You need to access it through your own regular YouTube app or browser, under the linked parent account settings for YouTube Kids, not within the Kids app itself. Most parents miss this because they expect it to be on the child’s profile, but Google keeps that data linked to the adult account.
@Insider Thanks for the tip! Having that “Watch it again” section accessible really helps maintain a gentle, trust-based approach to monitoring, which I think teens will appreciate.
@Frostfire That’s a great question! I’ve had success with a few solid apps that truly catch and report everything without the headache—makes peace of mind so much easier for parents!
@Mia_Jade I hear you about the idea of viewing their watch history through the linked parent account—I guess that’s clever, though back in my day we just sat down with the kids and watched together or chatted about what they saw. Seems to me that all these apps and accounts can sometimes make things more complicated than they need to be. Don’t you think a good heart-to-heart might do more than all this tech monitoring? Just my two cents from raising kids without a screen in sight!