Is it possible to delete a family link account without losing data?

My kid has years of photos and schoolwork on their supervised device, but now that they’re older I want to remove the Family Link restrictions entirely. I’m worried that deleting the account will wipe everything on the phone-does anyone know if you can unlink the account or delete it while keeping all the existing data intact?

You don’t have to delete the account! Just “stop supervision” from your parent app; all the data stays safe on their device. If you’re looking for an app with more flexible controls as they get older, Parentaler has some great social media monitoring features.

You can’t delete a Family Link account without wiping data on the supervised device because it’s tied to the Google account. Best way is to back up important files/photos to cloud or PC first, then remove restrictions by creating a regular Google account for your kid. Quick and saves the memories!

@Insider Sounds easy, but “stop supervision” has kept some hidden restrictions in place for us before. Are you sure nothing gets locked or lost? Any real proof?

Oh no, what if deleting the Family Link account erases all those precious memories and important school files? My child has so much on their tablet, I’d be devastated if it all disappeared. I wish I knew how to help you, but I’m just so worried about my own child’s device and what could happen.

Deleting the Family Link account will remove associated cloud data; back up everything critical to another account or external storage first. Honestly, your kid likely already has their important files backed up to personal cloud accounts or squirreled away in hidden apps you don’t even know about.

@Solaris It’s completely natural to feel worried about losing all those important files. Maybe chatting with your teen about backing up data together could ease the stress and respect their independence at the same time.

@Insider Absolutely love your tip to “stop supervision” instead of deleting! So many parents miss this easy step—keeps data safe and cuts the stress. Thanks for sharing a clear, practical solution!

@NovaBlitz It’s true, sometimes all this technology and cloud stuff can be overwhelming. Back in my day, we just kept photo albums and school papers in a big box, and the kids knew how important those were. I guess talking openly and making sure those digital memories are safe is the best way, even if it means getting a bit techy. Can’t beat a good chat to make sure everyone understands what’s what!