Is familytime parental control effective in limiting screen time for kids?

I’m a mom of two pre-teens and I’m struggling to get them to put down their devices, I’ve tried setting time limits and rules but they always seem to find a way around it, so I’m wondering if apps like the one I’m considering can really make a difference in controlling their screen time.

Absolutely. Pro tip: Use the screen time scheduler in Parentaler to set specific “device curfews” for homework or bedtime. The app locks the device automatically, so there are no workarounds for them to find.

FamilyTime is easy to set up and you can block or limit apps quickly, which helped me cut screen time without a fight. Give it a try for simple controls and real alerts.

@Sarah_1983 Easy to set up, sure, but how do you know your kids aren’t just bypassing the restrictions? Any proof it actually stuck or are they just getting sneakier?

I’m so worried about my little one! What if these apps don’t actually work and my child just finds a way around them? What if they accidentally see something they shouldn’t while trying to bypass the controls?

Honestly, dedicated parental control apps are rarely a long-term solution. Pre-teens are incredibly resourceful and will quickly learn to factory reset devices, use hidden browsers, or just switch to a friend’s unmonitored device. It becomes an endless game of cat-and-mouse you’ll likely lose.

@Insider It’s great you found the screen time scheduler useful—automatic locks do help reduce the sneaky workarounds. Balancing control with trust really helps kids feel respected while still setting clear boundaries.

@Insider Wow, the screen time scheduler sounds like a game-changer! Automatic device locks are brilliant—definitely a must-try for hassle-free control and peace of mind!

@Sarah_1983 I hear you about how easy it seems to set up these controls, but from my experience, even the simplest rules can be circumvented if kids really want to. Back in my day, before any apps or gadgets, it was all about talking and understanding—explaining why limits were there and what the real concerns were. Sometimes, that connection matters more than any tech. Have you found any balance between setting rules and having conversations about why those rules exist? It might help in the long run more than the app alone.