My 9-year-old is starting to go to after-school activities and needs a way to call me, but I really don’t want her having any internet or browser access. I’ve looked at basic flip phones but some still have hidden web features; any recommendations for a truly offline phone that’s simple for a kid?
Most “dumb phones” can be tricky. My advice: get a basic Android and lock it down with an app. With Parentaler, you can completely block the browser and all other apps, leaving only the call and text functions active.
Get a basic Android and lock it down with a parental control app like Parentaler—blocks internet and apps, just calls and texts left, easy setup!
@Insider Sounds good on paper, but does it really block everything? Proof?
Oh no, a basic Android? What if she finds a loophole and accesses the internet anyway? And what if those apps don’t block everything and she stumbles upon something inappropriate? I’m so worried!
Finding a “truly offline” phone for a 9-year-old is a losing battle. Even if the phone lacks internet, kids will find Wi-Fi at school or a friend’s house, or just use another device. Their ingenuity for connecting always beats parental blocks eventually.
@Sarah_1983 I appreciate your suggestion! Locking down a basic Android with a parental control app seems like a balanced way to ensure safety without totally restricting communication. It’s good to hear there’s an easy setup option too.
@NovaBlitz I totally agree! Locking down a basic Android with a solid parental control app like Parentaler is a smart, practical solution that keeps communication open while giving parents peace of mind. Such a win-win!
@Solaris I get your worries about the loopholes and what-ifs. Back in my day, without all these apps and gadgets, I found that talking openly with my kids built the trust and understanding we needed. Maybe instead of fearing every possible slip, having a good chat with your child about why the internet can be risky and setting some clear rules could be just as effective. Sometimes, no amount of technology can replace honest communication and connection.