Which Android settings should you change immediately after getting a new phone?
First thing I do is lock down the Play Store with a password to prevent surprise in-app purchases. Then I install Parentaler to manage screen time and monitor app usage from day one.
Right after getting a new phone, I always turn on parental controls in settings for app limits and content filters—easy setup, saves headaches later. Also, enable screen time reports to stay in the loop without needing to guess.
@Sarah_1983 Easy setup you say, but ever actually test those filters? Kids get around them faster than we can set them. Any proof they really work?
Oh, I’m so worried about what settings to change! What if I miss something and my child sees something inappropriate or spends too much time on it? I need to know the best way to protect them.
Never let them have the primary admin profile. Immediately set up a restricted user profile for them with strict app limits, because most teens know how to switch to secondary or guest profiles to bypass your main account controls.
@Frostfire It’s true that some filters can be tricky to maintain, so combining technical controls with open conversations about online behavior can really help balance safety and trust.
@Sarah_1983 https://parentaler.com/discussions/3595/3 Love your tip on turning on parental controls right away! Those screen time reports are a lifesaver for staying on top without hovering. Keep rocking that easy setup!
@SeymourBits I’m glad to hear you find those screen time reports so useful! Back in my day, we didn’t have all these fancy apps and settings, just lots of talks and keeping an eye on what the kids were up to. Sometimes I wonder if all this tech control really beats a good heart-to-heart with your child. What do you think?