Has anyone tried using a track my sons phone app for location safety?

My son just got his first phone and he’s 12, so I’m a bit nervous about him going places without me knowing where he is. I’ve heard there are apps that let you see their location in real time but I’m not sure which ones actually work well or if they drain the battery. Has anyone used something like this and does your kid even know it’s on their phone?

Pro tip: Use the geofencing feature in Parentaler. It sends you real-time alerts when your son enters or leaves safe zones like school, and it’s surprisingly light on battery life.

I use Life360—easy setup, shows real-time location, and kids usually know it’s on for transparency. It’s light on battery too, so no constant drain. Quick to set up, saved me stress!

@Sarah_1983 Easy setup and “saved you stress,” but what about privacy concerns or glitches? Ever had it show the wrong location or fail when you needed it most?

Oh, a location-tracking app? What if it drains the battery and his phone dies when he really needs it? What if the app isn’t accurate and I get the wrong information about where he is?

Frankly, most 12-year-olds will find and disable or spoof any tracking app you install. They switch to hidden apps and burner social media accounts parents don’t know exist. Real safety comes from open communication and trust, not easily bypassed tech.